The Arizona State Board of Dental Examiners ("Board") is comprised of 11 members who are appointed by the Governor: six dentists, two dental hygienists, two public members and one business entity member.
Individuals are appointed to a four-year term and may serve two consecutive terms. Interested parties may apply for appointment with the Governor's Office of Boards & Commissions. As a “90/10” agency, the Board is funded through the collection of application & licensing fees, of which 90% of those revenues are deposited into the Board's fund and the remaining 10% are deposited into the State’s general fund for use as determined by the Legislature.
To provide professional, courteous service and information to the dental profession and the general public through the examination, licensure and the complaint adjudication and enforcement processes; to protect the oral health, safety and welfare of Arizona citizens through a fair and impartial system.
What We Do
The Board examines and licenses individuals who provide dental services. The Board also accepts complaints against licensed and unlicensed individuals, investigates allegations and takes disciplinary actions for violations of law. The Board oversees over 10,500 licensees practicing in the state and serves all Arizona citizens who receive dental services.
As of October 1, 2021 the Board licenses:
5,464 Dentists - a 5.5% increase from this date a year ago.
5,124 Dental Hygienists - a 5.9% increase from this date a year ago.
12 Denturists - no increase/decrease from this date a year ago.
356 Business Entities - a 4% decrease from this date a year ago.