balloons above the desert
Consumer Information

Problems With A Dentist, Dental Hygienist Or Denturist

Anyone alleging to have been "harmed" by an Arizona dentist, hygienist or denturist may file a complaint against that professional. In order to file a complaint, please complete the online form below and use the second page, of the complaint form, to describe in detail what you are alleging. If you were treated by another licensee before or after the treatment you are now complaining about, please provide the contact information for each licensee. If the list of licensees is more than two, please use the link, on the complaint form, to attach a comprehensive list. Please use the links, available on the complaint form, to provide other documents you wish for the Board to consider. Board staff will provide notification that your complaint has been received and the staff will also inform you of the final outcome. 


To stay abreast of the investigation and any possible action(s), you should regularly review the Investigative Committee and Board meeting notices, agendas, audio and minutes to track the progress of your matter through its final disposition. Board staff does not send customized correspondence to inform the complainant of every Committee and/or Board meeting or action taken. Meeting materials can be viewed on the Board's meeting page or by clicking here.


If the Dental Board finds that a licensee violated its statutes and/or rules, restitution may be ordered. Restitution is any fee the patient paid out-of-pocket and does not include fees paid on your behalf by an insurance company. If you are seeking damages beyond your out-of-pocket expenses, you must seek an award from a civil/criminal court.

Complaints against students or supervising dentists in a dental school

Pursuant to A.R.S. § 32-1231(8), patients must file a complaint directly with the school; the Board does not adjudicate any potential violations occurring in a dental school setting. If you wish to contact the Board's compliance team, please email them at [email protected].

File a Complaint 

Other Options:

  • If you have not spoken to the licensee regarding the basis of the complaint, you are encouraged to do so. Licensees are, in most cases, business people and are sensitive to complaints about their services. You may feel reluctant to approach the licensee or his/her supervisor about your dissatisfaction, but many complaints are resolved in this manner and it might be your most convenient way to proceed. If you feel too intimidated or have failed with this approach, a written request for a resolution from you to the licensee is  another suggestion.
  • You may also prefer to seek the free mediation services offered by the Arizona State Dental Association ("AzDA"). Whether or not you know if the dentist is a member of AzDA or not, please feel free to contact AzDA for this free service. For more information on how the AzDA may be helpful, please contact them at 480.344.5777 or visit their website at
  • Seek legal counsel for civil and or criminal action.